By Maria Brannen
It’s Bible Drill Time! In the next few weeks, Children, Youth, and High School students will be participating in Church, Associational, Regional, and State Drills.
Our Church Drill is scheduled for next week. I am in the process of finishing up my to-do list to prepare for our drill. Here are a few hints in preparing for your church drill:
Parents – It’s important to communicate in multiple ways with parents to remind them of the dates and times of church, association, and state drills. (E-mail, Facebook, texts, church newsletter, postcards, etc.)
1-2 weeks before each drill—remind parents of details (dress, time to arrive, etc.)
Judges/Callers – Make sure all your Bible Drill team is enlisted: Judges (3 for children and 4 for youth/high school), timekeeper, and caller
Church office/leaders – Make sure all facility use details are in place (rooms reserved, room layout/needs communicated to the church office)
– Order Bible Drill t-shirts for your group (optional). This usually takes a minimum of 2 weeks from order to delivery.
– Bible Drill leader—prepare the call sheet. Type out the entire drill (commands, all calls for each drill type and the correct response) It is helpful to include an alternate call for each section.
– Obtain numbers and awards for church drill (certificates, medals, or trophies)
– Secure Judge supplies (folder, pencils, copies of call sheets, clipboards, score sheets, tally sheets, etc.)
1-2 Weeks before the Church Drill:
Have a practice drill in the sanctuary (or where your actual church drill will be.) Give the children numbers to wear. Have a few parents serve as judges. This allows the drillers to prepare for the actual drill.
After the church Drill:
· Register qualified Drillers for Associational and State Drills.
· Encourage entire drill team to support the qualifying drillers at each level with their attendance.
· Celebrate after State Drill (the day of if possible) by taking out the whole Bible Drill team to eat!
· Schedule a Bible Drill Recognition Service at your church after the State Drill (May is a good time.)